January 16, 2020
The Roger Milliken Defender of Manufacturing Award is the most prestigious annual honor presented by the SCMA to individuals who have worked to advance the manufacturing industry in South Carolina. The event includes a celebratory reception and dinner as the award recipients are recognized for their significant contributions to manufacturing in our state.
2020 Roger Milliken Defender of Manufacturing Awards Recipients
Mr. Newsome received a BS in Transportation and Logistics in 1976 and an MBA in Transportation and Logistics in 1977 from the University of Tennessee.
Mr. Newsome has received several awards and honors:
• DC Velocity Logistics Rainmaker, 2019
• University of Tennessee Alumni Professional Achievement Award, 2018
• Agriculture Transportation Coalition, Person of the Year, 2016
• South Carolina Public Servant of the Year, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, 2014
• Doctor of Humane Letters, The College of Charleston, 2014
• Connie Award, The Containerization and Intermodal Institute, 2010 (for significant influence in containerization in worldwide trade)
He was the first American to assume the top roles in the United States for both Hapag-Lloyd and Nedlloyd Lines.
Mr. Newsome received a BS in Transportation and Logistics in 1976 and a MBA in Transportation and Logistics in 1977 from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, TN. He was the top graduate in the College of Business Administration for Winter Quarter, 1976. He was named the Outstanding Alumnus in Transportation and Logistics in 1992.
He is involved in numerous organizations:
• Advisory Committee on Supply Chain Competitiveness, U.S. Department of Commerce
• University of Tennessee, College of Business Administration, Dean’s Advisory Council
• University of Tennessee, Global Supply Chain Institute, Executive Advisory Board
• University of Tennessee, College of Business Administration, 1914 Society
• The College of Charleston, School of Business, Board of Governors
• Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), Children’s Hospital Fund Advisory Board
• Intermodal Association of North America, Board of Directors, Marine Division
• Coalition for Responsible Transportation (CRT), Board of Directors
• American Heart Association, Southeast Region Board
• American Heart Association, Lowcountry Heart Walk, Executive Leadership Team
• Trident United Way, Tocqueville Society
Mr. Newsome is a native of Savannah, GA, where his father was an executive with the Georgia Ports Authority. He has been married for 34 years (wife Kathy) and has two children and one grandchild. His daughter, Rachel (32), is a counselor in Nashville, TN, married to Jason Smith, who is getting his PhD in theology at Vanderbilt University (both University of Georgia undergrads). They are the proud parents of Amelia Rose Smith, born May 4, 2016. His son, Matt (28), is now a doctor having graduated from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston (undergrad at UNC Chapel Hill) and is a resident in urology at UK Healthcare in Lexington, KY.
Mark and his wife Kim of 37 years, a 5th grade teacher in Cherokee County, have two children, Jordan and Jackson both graduates of The University of South Carolina. Jordan and his wife Melissa reside in Lexington, Ky where he is a pharmacy district manager for Walgreens. Jackson, currently residing in Greenville, SC is Doctor of Physical Therapy student at Anderson University.
In addition to his career with Timken, he has served and chaired on a variety of boards, state and local, public and private. In addition to the South Carolina Manufactures Alliance which he chaired in 2009, he has also served on the boards for the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, Upstate Carolina Medical Center, United Ways boards in all of his plant communities which currently includes The United Way of the Piedmont, in Spartanburg.